Monday, January 19, 2009

Housing

Housing........my San Francisco nightmare.  Who would have ever dreamed that it would have been so hard to find a place to live.  I mean, it is San Francisco!! The city is huge right?  That means it should be easy right?  WRONG!  Far from it.  San Francisco is like no other place I have been before.  There are very few apartment complexes here.  The ones that are hear-way out of my price range.  It is all town homes and things like that.  Still you would think that I shouldn't have that hard of a problem finding a place - wrong again.  Being an active LDS guy with moral standards makes it even more difficult to find a place.  First, I am not gay, and dont want to live in a place with other gay guys.  Its just not compatible for me and my beliefs.  So that really shortens my options for housing here.  Second, I dont want to live with people who are doing drugs.  Been there done that before and dont want to do that again.  That really really narrows my options.  Seriously, 75% of the places I found online said "420 friendly".  Once again, I know that I am not in Utah anymore, but seriously, come on!  So with those two constraints upon me, I have a narrow margin of finding a place.  Than, once again with being LDS, living with girls is frowned upon.  So now that almost makes finding a place impossible.  I quickly gave up on that stipulation upon arriving here in the city.  I was gonna take any clean place I could get into no matter if it was girls or guys living there.  Than you still have to find a place that fits your budget. 
So, you think once you find a place you can just go sign on and thats it.  Oh, no, you must be dreaming.  Once you do find a place that fits all your stipulations, you have to go to the open house, where there can be as many as 50 people all trying for that same exact spot.  So, you go to the open house, you do all the mingling and talking and brown nosing you can think of.  If you are lucky you get narrowed down to the 3 or so finalists!! YAY!  Than you have to go in for round 2 of one-on-one interviews with the roommates.  This is where they find out more about you, and if you are suitable for the place.  Than if you are lucky enough and survive the cuts, you are offered the room.  
In all of my searching, I made it to the final two people  - TWICE.  Only to fall short of that final victory crown, and be informed that they chose the other person.  What a let-down that is.  Back to square one all over again.  Yeah it is depressing.  And I haven't even begun to describe the rooms that we are all fighting for - thats cause that would only depress you more.  Anyways, after all of this, I have finally found a place to live.  It is with 2 other LDS guys in the Presidio.  Far away from my school and work, but at least with people with the same basic beliefs and morals as me.   

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Hooray! I'm so glad that you finally found a place! We would really like to go to Stanford for MBA school, but it sounds awful to find a place to live! I'm so glad you found a place finally, and even better with some LDS guys! Good luck out there! It's so fun to see pictures of you! Keep up with the blogging!

SKYE said...

KEVIN!!! SO cool you are in San Fran. It's a pretty neat city. What are you doing out there? Glad to see you have a blog! Good luck with everything!