Monday, January 19, 2009

Language in the real world

Ok, so here is the get up.  I have now been in San Francisco for two full weeks (and one day if we are going to be completely official).  Now we all know, that I have been known to drop a few cuss words here and there in my time.  So we know that I am far from being self righteous in what I am going to say next.  In fact, I think that this gives my views a bit more clout.  I have been thoroughly shocked in the type of language that is used in professional circumstances here in SF.  I cannot believe how foul and degrading everyones casual language has become.  I mean ill be honest, I didn't expect it to be like utah and all, and I did spend a summer in NYC at an advertising agency, but even through all that, I am still shocked.  I cannot believe how crude and vulgar people are in professional situations.  It is like they just came out of the gutter.  It is really disgusting and degrading.  Not only peoples language, but their entire thoughts and ideas.  I mean, I am supposedly at a top level creative school, and the best ideas that my fellow students come up with are morally degrading filth.  It makes me sad.  Like I said, I am not opposed to a cuss word hear and there in anger or frustration, but I did expect better in public professional situations.  This all came about for me because yesterday I went to church and hung out all day with people from church.  I did not hear a single F-word, or even any swear word until I got on the bus to go home that night.  It was than that I realized how nice and uplifting it was to go all day without having to hear that.  I cannot stop thinking about that.  It really made such a difference in my day.  I am vowing to do even better with my language.  And to all of you who have heard me when I have not been at my best, I apologize for subjecting you to that.

4 comments:

Charisse Baldwin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charisse Baldwin said...

Kevin, I can't believe it! For you to say that it is trash, it makes me not want to visit (and I grew up in a place where it was weird if you did not swear, but this sounds even worse). I'm glad you found a place.

Phyllis said...

Loved reading about your experiences. Isn't it great that you can laugh about it all, NOW.

Phyllis said...

By the way, I would love to see more pictures!! Maybe of Hilary and the apt you have been living in, maybe of your school, or your new place, or anything. Or of YOU!!!!!